Monday, March 15, 2010

We lost the bout.. but won the after party...

Bout weekend is officially over. I feel like I got hit by a truck, have tons of footage to go through, and am ready for the next one. As Fonda Cuffs said, I still kinda have a post-bout glow, and am very happy with how we did. We lost to the Flying Squirrels (from Appleton, WI) ..by like 70 points? I guess I don't even remember what the score was, but it doesn't really matter because we all learned a lot and it was fun.


They liked to hit, and hit a lot. They put up awesome walls and had fast jammers. We didn't give up, hit back, worked on breaking their walls and our jammers had some big scoring jams. (I personally had a 13 point jam.) I was happy to see that when we were getting a beating, we didn't just get frustrated and mad, we fought to improve and work around our shortcomings. (like continuously having 1 or 2 people in the box. oops)

I don't think my nerves really started to tremble until it was time for intros. I was too busy running around setting up video equipment, forgetting my skirt at home, helping John Pemble put together a 12second video in 5 minutes, and picking out people I knew as the doors opened. I was glad I donned a pair of shades for my intro because I could have just crumpled to the ground by the time I exited the curtain. Because we drew a HUGE crowd! I think Iowa City has finally understood that derby is here and it's amazing. The crowd was definitely more than in October, which is saying a lot since the team we were playing came from 5 hours away, I doubt much of it was their fans!


The after party was an even more success. Boozin', scmoozin', and girls dancing on the bar. Let's just say it was a good end to the night...

Cut to next morning.. ughhhhhhhhh. Didn't want to move. (and actually my booze hangover wasn't so bad, my body had its own derby hangover). But I had to drag my ass out of bed because Furyis and I had planned on a photo shoot for our next bout poster that needs to get to the printers this week since our bout, "Malice In Derbyland" against the Des Moines Derby Dames is in 3 short weeks!

So already I can tell this season is going to be nonostop work, skating, hitting, fundraising, videoing, and editing. I'm logging footage from the bout as we speak. I'm excited to go through it. I've already checked out some of the helmet camera footage, a little shakey, and was angled too high, but there's some good stuff there.

This time it's Spring Work for me, no breaks!

-L4D

No comments:

Post a Comment