Monday, January 10, 2011

Roller Derby Workout Challenge Week #1

So not only have the Angel City Derby Girls from LA created a workout video, they also have the Roller Derby Workout Challenge! They consulted experts and came up with an 8 week plan complete with workouts and meals that will whip girls into shape. From trying many diets and reading lots of articles about food, I have a basic understanding of what it takes to eat healthy, I'm just too lazy to do it. With specific guidelines and having meals spelled out for me, I'm hoping this will be just what it takes to kick me into a consistent healthy habit. It looks like it will be a lot of work, but totally worth it.

Each week they also have "homework assignments" which are a handful of questions you answer in a note on Facebook, and then post the link on the group's discussion board. If you complete and post each assignment, it puts you in a drawing to win sweet derby prizes. I am going to try to post them here as well, and keep a workout diary to make sure I stay on top of things. It will also give me the added pressure of an audience (the large reader base that I pretend I have) watching to keep me going.

I'm already behind due to my financial situation and not being able to go to the store yet, but that should be fixed tomorrow, and with my new job at Target starting soon I should be making the ends meet a little easier. So here we go...

Week #1 

1) What do you think will be the hardest nutrition guideline for you to follow?
I think just getting used to cooking and preparing and all the work that goes into eating healthy. When I work at the coffee shop it'll be hard not to eat all the sweet treats around me! So, I guess sugar will be hard to drop a bit. 

2) We want you to think before you eat, do you think before you shop?? Name three derby owned businesses.
Wicked! Sin City! Fast Girl Skates! 

3) What is one thing that you have in your fridge or pantry that you thought was healthy but may now be rethinking?
I guess the 1/2 fruits kinda threw me off. I thought everything about fruit should be good, but I guess they have calories and natural sugars too. And I never thought about whether my peanut butter was sweetened or not. 

4) Do you know your league history? Who founded your league and in what year?
Huzzie and Killa started our league in the fall of 2008! Started so small and grown so much!

5) How did you come up with your derby name?
I threw around a lot of ideas with some friends. My last name is Edwards, so it worked as Deadwards and then came up with Left 4 Deadwards even though I've never played the game, but I am fond of zombie stuff. 

6) Attach a photo to your note that conveys how you feel going into this challenge. It can be of you, or of an object, or something you find on the web.
I participated in a mixer hosted by the Quad City Rollers 2 years in a row. I was so out of shape last year. I've come a long way since then, but I have a gut I could get rid of, and endurance I can improve, etc. etc. It just gives me a bit of confidence of how far I've come which means I can do that much better. 
Mixer 2010 and Mixer 2011.
I also took some before pictures... that I will NOT be sharing but they definitely gave me the added boost of motivation to get going. Are you up for the challenge?

-L4D

No comments:

Post a Comment